[svlug] IE6.0 + smart tags...Better start using Marc Merlin's tactics

Drew Bertola drew at drewb.com
Mon Jun 25 19:59:02 PDT 2001

I remember that Marc's web page could crash IE.  I believe the way it
worked was that some dynamic content generation triggered by having IE
in the user agent string would overwhelm IE (or Win in general).

In light of the announcement of smart tags, this might become a
necessary evil.  As I hear it, smart tags are generated from M$'s own
database and displayed over your content.  I think it's pretty scary.
I guess dissallowing any content to IE6.0 might be the only way to
protect yourself from their editorial input.

Preview page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/preview/default.asp

Smart Tags page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/preview/smarttags/default.asp

--
Drew Bertola | Send a text message to my pager or cell ...