[svlug] /etc/hosts.deny tcpd problems

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at dsurreal.org
Mon Jun 25 19:18:01 PDT 2001

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Rick Moen wrote:

> Dagmar, did you really just use the word "non-compromisable" in the same
> e-mail as the term "WU-FTPd"?  Really, using tcp-wrappers with such
> things is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.  And ProFTPd
> is only a little better.

Yup.  That's why I said I've just flatly given up on trying to run an
ftpd.  Anything I need to distro to users without authentication just gets
chucked into the web server's domain.  I got *very* tired of having to
repatch wu every two to four weeks, and proftpd wasn't faring any
better.  For anything that needs authentication, I've still got sshd and
scp, so I'm not suffering too much.

By the way, your sig sounds a lot like something that would happen in
EverQuest.  ;)