[svlug] throw me a bone

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Jun 19 02:07:01 PDT 2001

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001 00:35:55 -0700
Todd Lyons <todd at mrball.net> wrote:

> I'm hoping somebody can help me out here.  I have a project that I
> need to use Apache with mod_php, so I'm trying to recompile php.
> The catch is that I need the absolute latest php, 4.0.5.  This is
> on a Mandrake 8.0 machine.  I took the spec file from the
> php-4.0.4pl1 rpm and modified it to work with 4.0.5.  It makes it
> to very near the end and then dies.  It can't find the shared libs
> that are being produced.

> Why?  That's easy.  They aren't being produced.

I literally just had to work through building PHP today (so that I
could then build the MnoGoSearch module).  As all I needed was the
.so for mnogosearch to plug into my otherwise default packaged
Debian PHP setup I used the followingconfigure line:

  ../configure --prefix=/usr --with-regex=system
  --with-config-file-path=/etc/php4/apache --disable-rpath
  --enable-memory-limit --enable-calendar --enable-sysvsem
  --enable-sysvshm --enable-track-vars --enable-trans-sid
  --disable-debug --disable-static --with-ndbm --enable-ftp
  --with-gettext --enable-sockets --with-mnogosearch=shared,/usr
  --with-apache=/home/src/php4/apache-1.3.19/build-tree/apache_1.3.19

Suffice to say, it built the appropriate mnogosearch.so and I was
happy.  This is on 4.0.5RC2.

For you debian-ites out there 4.0.5 RC[1|2|3] are available fresh
from the packager at:

  http://merlin.debian.net/php4/

I've not (yet) tried RC3.  RC1 and RC2 have both been happy here.

> Maybe a night's sleep will do some good for my brain cell.

Which is why I'm not going to spend the time now to help figure this
out.  Time to hit the sack.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows