[svlug] Wireless Access Point for Linux networks?

Dagmar d'Surreal elberg at dsurreal.org
Mon Jun 18 12:09:01 PDT 2001

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 10:04:47AM -0700, Greg Herlein wrote:
> > > You can, of course, just buy a PCI<->PCMCIA interface card (about
> > > $75-$100) and stick a wireless card of your choice in it, and skip using
> > > an AccessPoint entirely.  You'll still be able to use WEP, but to my
> >
> > Has anyone actually done this?  I've pondered doing it but did not
> > want to spend the $$$ if it failed - my concern is that the layer 2
> > stuff in the wireless cards might somehow want an AP to work
> > correctly.
>
> I can't speak to that, but...

I've done it.  It's nowhere near as hard as it would first seem to
be.  There is one warning I should have thrown in earlier... it appears
that for the moment PCMCIA stuff in 2.4.x is in a state of "nature" and
can't really be used with wireless cards without some twiddling.  Things
work fine out of the box with the 2.2.x series and latest pcmcia-cs
package.