[svlug] Wireless Access Point for Linux networks?

Greg Herlein gherlein at herlein.com
Mon Jun 18 10:06:02 PDT 2001

> You can, of course, just buy a PCI<->PCMCIA interface card (about
> $75-$100) and stick a wireless card of your choice in it, and skip using
> an AccessPoint entirely.  You'll still be able to use WEP, but to my

Has anyone actually done this?  I've pondered doing it but did
not want to spend the $$$ if it failed - my concern is that the
layer 2 stuff in the wireless cards might somehow want an AP to
work correctly.  Can you do peer to peer with these cards?  If
so, do they look just like an ethernet card (ie, do they have a
vanilla MAC address from the perspective of the linux box)?

The wireless boxes I've worked with in the past were picky about
their other end-point... so having been bitten once, I'm cautious
now.

Greg

Greg Herlein                                  President/CEO
greg at herlein.com                              Principal Software Engineer
http://www.herlein.com                        Herlein Engineering, Inc.