[svlug] Wireless Access Point for Linux networks?

Aaron Lehmann aaronl at vitelus.com
Mon Jun 18 03:09:01 PDT 2001

I'm looking for a Linux-friendly wireless 802.11b access point. Every
unit I have looked at so far has at least these unfriendly
characteristics:

* Windows setup and configuration tool

* DHCP/NAT for address assignment. (I want to do my DHCP and routing
on a Linux box, for obvious reasons)

Is it possible to find an access point that is analogous to an
unmanaged hub rather than a managed router? I would prefer to leave
routing and address assignment to a Linux box on the network. It's
also a big plus if the access point just works out of the box, rather
than requiring configuration from some medieval OS.

Will such a scheme even work on a wireless network, or is it that
different from Ethernet?