[svlug] NAT from the outside

Bill Jonas bill at billjonas.com
Mon Jun 11 19:30:02 PDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 11:12:23AM +0200, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> which of the above?

Well, it depends on who you're hiding from.  Someone who has access to
the routers just upstream of your box (ie, your ISP) can monitor the
pattern of ports you use for outbound connections.  IIRC, Linux by
default (at least in some release) uses ports >60,000 (or something
similar) for masquerading.  I know this can be tweaked in the source,
but I forget where.

--
Bill Jonas    *    bill at billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should