[svlug] Midnight commander + ssh

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Mon Jun 11 09:52:02 PDT 2001

On Fri, May 09, 2001 at 08:01:26 -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:
> > 1) The keys are the same than in norton commander, which many mc
> > users are used to
>
> Which has no value to me.  I didn't like NC when I used does and I
> don't like MC now.

That's quite  all right, but  since MC  was supposed to  be an NC  close (at
least initially, in versions 1.x and 2.x, which still remember using), it's
normal that the key bindings are the same.

> > 2) mc does display at the bottom of the screen what each of them
> > does...
>
> Umm, right.  Most annoying.  Gimme 'd' for delete, 'c' for copy, 'm'
> for move, 'v' for view, etc please.

No, mc and nc have a command line  at the bottom of the screen, and anything
you type ends up there. You can use  it to construct command lines by typing
the command and "pasting" the list of current selected files or dirs.

That's why MC internal commands use function key, and ALT escaped key
sequences.

> Least in Emacs if I don't like ALT+X+ALT+foo+bar I can bind it to
> some key that makes sense for me.

MC lets you remap its function keys  too. I think it will even let you remap
them to normal keys, although that would  be a mistake since you wouldn't be
able to make sure of the command line anymore.

Marc