[svlug] Midnight commander + ssh

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 8 01:26:01 PDT 2001

Minor correction:  It turns out that gFTP doesn't "front-end to Brian
Wellington's sftp client", but rather includes equivalent functionality.

My main point remains, however -- that it's not the same as WinSCP in
that it uses an entirely different (and rare) protocol.  Of course,
if it's _your_ "server" host you're trying to copy files to/from, you
can always compile Wellington's sftp server-end daemon, and run it
there.

A closer equivalent to WinSCP is SecPanel (written in Tk/Tcl).
http://www2.wiwi.uni-marburg.de/~leich/soft/secpanel/
http://www2.wiwi.uni-marburg.de/~leich/soft/secpanel/screenshots/

It front-ends the "SSH1" (protocol v. 1.5) scp tools, either Ylönen's
or OpenSSH's.

That and other goodies are catalogued in my list of all known SSH
software, http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/security/ssh-clients -- which
you can now re-find from my personal Web page, if you need it.

--
Cheers,  "99% of success at programming is being more stubborn than your bugs."
Rick Moen                                       -- Deirdre Saoirse Moen
rick at linuxmafia.com