[svlug] Dual-Drives...

Jose Sanchez jsanchez at CalyxandCorolla.com
Thu Jun 7 15:28:02 PDT 2001

Thanks Rafael this info is very useful to me!
-----Original Message-----
From: Rafael [mailto:raffi at linwin.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 3:23 PM
To: Jose Sanchez
Cc: 'svlug at svlug.org'
Subject: RE: [svlug] Dual-Drives...

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Jose Sanchez wrote:

>   the only conflict that I can foresee is because of your use of ide
> instead of scsi:-)
>
> These were the only drives available here at work.
>
> Now when a user's box is running winblows 9hate and goes to winblows
> explorer and clicks on Network Neighborhood and say he wants to pull off a
> MS Word document from the LINUX fileserver will the user see for example
the
> word icon and file name or just file.doc? If it was up to me I would run
all
> Linux Apps but I'm just an assistant and this a good start for me to
> introduce the power of LINUX here at work.

With Samba everything looks the same to windoze users, they won't know the
difference except that files will always be there when you expect them not
like on windoze systems when things "suddenly change" because people take
laptops home and use different domains etc.

Clicking on files, opening in any way, and checking their permissions will
be the same. I use Samba with authentication with PDC (unfortunately) but
it still works. The only time things go bezerk is when windoze burps and
needs to be rebooted. I need to restart Samba sometimes.

Setup Linux as a printer server too. That way you can filter printing jobs
in different ways. For example printing two pages on one etc.

Make sure that Samba is not master browser if there is PDC or your Linux
will take over and PDC will sit there like a dog that got a bucket of
water on it's back. I setup    os level = 31 so that PDC stays the master.
Wish it was the other way.

There are (too)many options to play with.

Worth buying a book for some tweaking needed in some cases.

> Winblows: 1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila floor
> LINUX: 1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila bring me more :0)

Bush sisters?

# Rafael Skodlar
#    MS Windows, a digital form of Mad Cow Disease.