[svlug] Dual-Drives...

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Thu Jun 7 15:20:01 PDT 2001

> Jose Sanchez wrote:
>
>   the only conflict that I can foresee is because of your use of ide
> instead of scsi:-)
>
> These were the only drives available here at work.

  that was just joke (in anticipation of ide<->scsi discussion). however
if linux will work out and you will use it on fileserver machines it's a
good idea to get scsi disks. anyway, always backup, scsi or not:-)

> Now when a user's box is running winblows 9hate and goes to winblows
> explorer and clicks on Network Neighborhood and say he wants to pull
> off a MS Word document from the LINUX fileserver will the user see for
> example the word icon and file name or just file.doc? If it was up to
> me I would run all Linux Apps but I'm just an assistant and this a
> good start for me to introduce the power of LINUX here at work.

  the icons are displayed by win client (explorer) so you don't have to
worry about that. ms win users will see no difference between win and
linux file servers. you can also share printers (to win users they look
just like other win printers).

	erik