[svlug] worms -n stuff

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jun 5 07:03:01 PDT 2001

begin  Drew Bertola quotation:

> That's not the way it's supposed to work on remote systems.  The db
> file should be written (at least) off machine.  There's some help with
> that kind of syntax for the config file, but nothing seems to work.

Ah, I hadn't quite followed what you were asking about.  I said I was
tired, right?  Yes, you're right.

I'm afraid I've been inconsistent as to use of these tools, which is
one of the things I'm trying to fix.  Essentially, just pick one (or
more):  MD5 checksums, AIDE, tripwire.  Go through the pain in the rear
of setting them up securely and meaningfully.  And then maintain them.

> Same with aide, for the most part.  What a chore.  I do like aides
> output summary better, though.

You know, the code is cleaner, too.  And it's C.  After all that fuss
about Tripwire going open source, it turns out to be a hairball of
poorly portable C++.

--
Cheers,                      I have a mind like a steel trap.
Rick Moen                    Rusty, and illegal in thirty-seven states.
rick at linuxmafia.com