[svlug] Convincing Rationale URL for Old Man to Shorten Email Line Length?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Jun 4 22:00:01 PDT 2001

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001 21:05:22 -0700
Karsten M Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> on Tue, May 29, 2001 at 02:38:35PM -0700, Joe Brenner
> (doom at kzsu.stanford.edu) wrote:
>> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> As for not using the full width of an email for text, I'm known to
> reformat text wider or narrower, as necessary, to hit the 72
> column sweet spot.  Might even have done same recently.

Some of use are known to use/run SuperCite which will do such
reformatting automatically while preparing the message for our
editing and reply pleasure.

> The advantage of having small problems, even if they're not
> ultimately resolveable, is that they're not overwhelming.  This of
> itself is a good thing, sometimes ;-)

Umm, yes.  I just upgraded to XEmacs 21.4 and found that it broke
most of my .emaca.  Nothing horrible, but lots of fiddly bits.  The
process of recovery however has been most educational and
entertaining:

  -- I finally updated FlySpell from the author's site and got it
  really working the way I want.

  -- I finally got an elisp dictd client that works properly and
  hyperlinks internal references and will hit my dictd server which
  has a custom set of dicionaries intalled.

  -- I got to tweak up browse-yank.el slightly to work the way I'd
  really like (mostly key bindings).

  -- kill-ring.el is still flakey onforunately (don't know why) in
  that it won't add the Kill-Ring sub-menu properly.

  -- Nice little tool to auto-retrieve RFCs from IETF.org and
  reformat them for easy reading and presentation.

  -- e-mh-alias.el solves several long-time bitches of mine in
  regard to alias handling on MH-E and Mew.

  -- I like Superbar.

Slowly the dominos fall down.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows