[svlug] Re: Firewall Tunnel + A Hint

Kevin Kaichuan He hek at cisco.com
Mon Jun 4 14:48:02 PDT 2001

Hi Aludal,

	Thank you for the input.
	Yes, you can use "ssh" to forward/tunnel tcp connection back
and forth. If what you want to do is to tunnel a connection from
intranet to extranet, your "recipe" of "ssh remote_host -L
localport:remote_host:remote_port" will work just fine. But what "Firewall
Tunnel" want to do is to allow reverse tunnelling/forwarding in the direction
from extranet to intranet. Normally firwall sitting between intranet and
extranet will block connection initiated from extranet to intranet. So
the "-R" option of ssh (e.g.: ssh remote_host -R
remote_port:local_host:localport) seems to serve the "reverse tunnelling"
purpose only if there is no firewall between localhost and remotehost. I tried
the "-R" option on the following two cases:

1) localhost and remote host are in the same network, no firewall in between:
	It works fine. You can connect to the remote port on the remote host
   and your connection is tunneled to localhost just fine.
2) localhost and remote host are in different network, firewall sitting
   between dropping TCP connection from remote host to localhost
	It doesn't work. You can not connect to the remote port on the remote
   host this way.

	As to the reason, (correct me if I'm wrong), I'm just guessing the "ssh"
"-R" tunnelling will estabilish a new tunnel from remote to local for each new
connection request that reaches the remote port on the remote host. So such new
connection will be dropped by the firewall for sure since it's initiated from
the external world. While the "Firewall Tunnel" tool will always use
the same tunnel/connetion to tunnel/forward tcp requests from remote to
local and this single connection is initiated from intranet to extranet
in the very beginning. That's why it can export intranet service to
externel. It also means the "firewall tunnel" have to multiplex multiple
tcp connections into the same tunnel at the Front End and demultiplex
the traffic and inject them to the stack at the Back End, which is
more difficult than the "allocating a new tunnel for a new tcp connection"
scheme.

cheers,

Kevin