[svlug] sparcstation 5: first steps

Aaron T Porter atporter at primate.net
Sat Jun 2 23:40:02 PDT 2001

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Rick Moen wrote:

> 'Sides, thieves usually aren't too bright, or they'd be in a different
> line of business.  Here's another anecdote for you:

	I can top that one, easy. Back in the mid '90s I was working at
AT&T in NJ. As happens in VeryLargeCorps(tm) we were in the middle of a
massive restructuring. As part of this plan, an entire section of one of
the floors was vacated by a group moving to another office. The plan was
to setup brand new systems in these currently vacant offices to be waiting
when the new inhabitants moved in.
	Now there were some ambitious young men on the cleaning crew who
had some idea just how much a high end 17" monitor was worth in those
days, and they decided to liberate about a dozen of them using their
oversized wheeled trash cans. Being on the cleaning crew, they had easy
access to the multi-level subteranian parking garage. Now this was at AT&T
headquarters in Basking Ridge, and security is really very tight --
keycard entry and exit, good video coverage on just about every exit, 24
hour manned stations, etc.
	So these guys found a way to get from the service dock to an air
shaft without being seen on film, and a way to get from the floor below to
their van as well. Their genius plan was for one guy to take the monitors
out to the garage while the other guy got the van, and then the first guy
would drop them down the air shaft for his partner to catch. I guess he'd
never tried to catch a 50lb+ object dropped from about 12ft before.
Security found him on a routine patrol; his friend had taken off with the
van.