[web-team] [svlug] Slides, lecture notes

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 7 17:31:44 PST 2011

Quoting Larry Platzek (larryp at inow.com):

> I had been over looking the "news" section of the svlug.  I still feel
> notes, slide and other data should be listed in "previous meetings page"
> be it pre or post meeting date.

Retroactively adding a 'slides' hyperlink to relevant entries in
prevmeet.php should do the trick.

There's something not yet covered on
http://www.svlug.org/teams/web-team.php that really ought to be:
how we deal with presenter slides, presenter notes, etc.  If you feel
inspired, you could edit that page.  ;->

In short, here's what we do.  As an example, SVLUG hears that talk
slides and notes are going to be available from February 2011 speaker
Rick Moen.  So, a member of the Web Team sshes into www.svlug.org and goes
to the document root directory (e.g., via the handy 'www' symlink we
give you in your homedir):

rick at gruyere:~$ cd www
rick at gruyere:~/www$ cd prev
rick at gruyere:~/www/prev$
rick at gruyere:~/www/prev$ mkdir 2011feb
rick at gruyere:~/www/prev$

The 'prev' directory is where we house _all_ such stuff:

rick at gruyere:~/www/prev$ ls -l
total 72
drwxrwxr-x 3 www-data www-data 4096 Jun 13  2008 1997nov
drwxrwxr-x 3 www-data www-data 4096 Jun 13  2008 1998apr
drwxrwxr-x 3 www-data www-data 4096 Jun 13  2008 1999sep
drwxrwxr-x 3 www-data www-data 4096 Jun 13  2008 2000feb
drwxrwxr-x 3 www-data www-data 4096 Jun 13  2008 2002oct
drwxrwxr-x 3 www-data www-data 4096 Jun 13  2008 2004jul
drwxrwxr-x 3 www-data www-data 4096 Jun 13  2008 2005jun
drwxrwxr-x 3 www-data www-data 4096 Jun 13  2008 2005nov
drwxrwxr-x 3 www-data www-data 4096 Jun 13  2008 2005oct
drwxrwxr-x 3 www-data www-data 4096 Jun 13  2008 2006apr
drwxrwxr-x 3 www-data www-data 4096 Jun 13  2008 2006dec
drwxrwxr-x 2 www-data www-data 4096 Mar 18  2009 2007nov
drwxrwxr-x 2 www-data www-data 4096 Mar 18  2009 2008may
drwxr-xr-x 2 www-data www-data 4096 Apr  2  2009 2009apr
drwxrwxr-x 2 www-data www-data 4096 Dec  4  2009 2009dec
drwxrwxr-x 2 www-data www-data 4096 Jun  4  2009 2009jun
drwxrwxr-x 2 www-data www-data 4096 Feb  2 20:45 2010dec
drwxrwxr-x 2 www-data www-data 4096 Feb  2 20:46 2011feb
rick at gruyere:~/www/prev$

When the speaker furnishes the slides, notes, whatever, you scp (or
whatever) them into there:

rick at gruyere:~/www/prev$ ls -l 2011feb/
total 304
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 285491 Feb  2 20:31 svlug-lecture-2011-02-02.odp
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data  18075 Feb  2 20:31 svlug-lecture-2011-02-02.txt
rick at gruyere:~/www/prev$

NOTE:  File ownership needs to be manually chowned to www-data:www-data.
The system won't do it for you, and leaving files and directories owned
by user 'larryp' is going to inconvenience and annoy your fellow Web
Team members.

(Yes, we really ought to run a nightly cronjob to clean up people's
file-ownerships screwups in that tree.  Wanna write one?)

NOTE#2:  Because Amy Abascal designed the site circa 1996, she relied
heavily on HTML tables for pages meetings.php and prevmeet.php[1], which
Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time.  This means you need to be
_careful_ in editing those two pages.

I say this because I keep finding that people have broken the tables,
especially prevmeet.php.  The only thing you should need to ever do
_routinely_ to prevmeet.php is copy over a past meeting's data from
meetingis.php verbatim, without accidentally clipping off the top or
bottom, and without adding other stuff.

A month's data consist of precisely _four_ <tr></tr> (table row)
sections.  There is careful indenting so that people won't screw
this up, i.e., so it's painfully obvious if the closing </tr> is
missing, as that leaves a hanging indent.

Here are the four <tr></tr> sections from the most-recent talk:

  Performance, and Privacy

  Ever notice that Web page loads are still slow, and your browser
  still segfaults, despite software improvements?  It's not really
  your fault.  Many Web site are now weighed down with spurious content
  to track and log what you do and where you go, and that's not even
  counting the outright malware.  However, it turns out there are
  fairly easy measures users can take to fix the situation, get your
  performance back, and protect your privacy.  Rick Moen will detail
  those, explaining some of the ways the Web went wrong and how to
  fix them.

  senior system administrator and member of SVLUG's Web Team, who also
  runs nearby Linux user group <a href="http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/">CABAL</a>,
  meeting at his and his wife's house in West Menlo Park, and has been
  fooling with various Unixes since the 1980s.

pairs?  Notice how the <p></p> pairs are matched and are within

I've done a lot of work to make the HTML correct, and many of our pages
now pass the W3 HTML validator.  There still is some work to go, but
we're getting close.[2]

I would like to _not_ see, as I've often seen lately in meeting data
moved from meetings.php to prevmeet.php, this sort of lopped-off

  senior system administrator and member of SVLUG's Web Team, who also
  runs nearby Linux user group <a href="http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/">CABAL</a>,
  meeting at his and his wife's house in West Menlo Park, and has been
  fooling with various Unixes since the 1980s.

Notice the hanging indent?  Well, someone on the Web Team doesn't, as I
keep seeing exactly that sort of thing, and it's really easy to not
do it:  Just _verbatim-copy four table-row sections_, without clipping
off the top or bottom.  Not fewer, not more.  Four entire <tr></tr>
sections exactly.

I also found, along with the hanging-tags error, that someone had put a
new <table> entry at the beginning of each month's data on prevmeet.php,
going back for several months.  Wrong!  There's exactly _one_ table.  It
runs almost the entire length of the page, and encloses all monthly
meeting data from 1997 to the present.  And it has a </table> closing
tag at the very bottom.

[1] It wasn't PHP at the time, but rather pages with server-side
includes, and thus they were at the time meetings.shtml and
prevmeet.shtml.  Lisa Corsetti did the conversion to PHP, a few years
back.  (PHP is primarily used as a more-modern mechanism for server-side
includes, though PHP is also used to autogenerate the front-page SVLUG
News column and the news.php page, every time a Web Team member edits
svlug-news.txt .)

[2] The problem cases are the front page and prevmeet.php.  The front
page is complex because it's assembled from a number of include files.
The prevmeet.php page is just very very long and has a great deal of
table data.  There are some errors in that table data, somewhere, and
I haven't found them all yet.  That's one reason why it's important to
mind the indenting and tag order, to avoid introducing new errors.
Towards that end, it's a good idea to run validator.w3.org on the
contents copying a month's entry to prevmeet.php.
of meetings.php to make sure the HTML is correct before