[web-team] (forw) Re: Smaug mailing list settings

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 6 10:44:47 PST 2010

Followup.  Much now becomes obvious:  Peter bollixed the Smaug mailing
list settings and (accidentally) clobbered the performance of SVLUG's
mailing list server with hundreds of pointless additions to the 'discard
mail from these addresses' roster as a misguided and ineffective
response to once-or-twice-per-day Mailman notices about held spam.

I'm guessing he actually bothered to go read held spams' headers at the
Mailman admin Web pages, and thought he was obligated to do so, and to
dispose of them manually.  As I explain below, that's not what Mailman
admins do:  Instead, they just ignore the held spam in Mailman's admin
queue, and let Mailman dispose of it automatically.