[volunteers] What broke mail to 'president@svlug.org'

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed Aug 3 21:52:06 PDT 2016

On Wed, 2016-08-03 at 02:33 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
>   Daniel, seriously, you need to document what you changed, not just
>   handwave about your having changed _something_.
>
>   I'm having to chew up a lot of time just figuring out what you've
> been
>   doing, and this really is not good.

Then you're _really_ not going to like reading the following at this
stage:

Since a lot of people would type simply "svlug.org" into a browser
without the www, that needs to work. Previously, this was taken care of
by the ill-conceived PHP on the lists host, an apparent vestige of when
there was only one host. Retiring Apache and its PHP meant an alternate
solution was needed. Lighttpd on gruyere had at some point in its early
history been specifically set up to respond without the www, but this
functionality was never used. Repointing the A record for "svlug.org" to
gruyere also could not be done in a vacuum, because when Exim sent mail,
it told the receiving hosts that it was "svlug.org" which couldn't be
left resolving to something else, so I told Exim that it is now
"mail.svlug.org" and verified that it continued to function unchanged
after repointing "svlug.org" to gruyere.