[volunteers] State of the mailing lists, again

Sarah Newman newmans at sonic.net
Thu Jul 7 22:36:58 PDT 2016

On 07/07/2016 05:50 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> If you look at http://lists.svlug.org/archives/svlug/2016-July/date.html
> , you'll see several posts Web-archived there including one from Lyz
> Joseph (last night's speaker) and a post from me sent twice, plus a copy
> of my svlug-announce posting.  And one from Josef Grosch about Devuan.
>
> As a subscriber, I received the svlug@ copy of my svlug-announce@ post.
>
> I did not receive any of the others.
>
> I've tried to investigate via logfiles on my own (receiving) MTA and on
> lists.svlug.org .  Not sure what the hell's going on.
>
> I sent a test message to test at lists.svlug.org .  It went through, was
> Web-archived, and I got a copy.
>
> I restarted a few services on lists.svlug.org, and then I rebooted it.
>

> One complication is that I'm really exhausted, and just don't have the
> stamina to investigate this further.  I fear that svlug@ is suffering
> some mysterious breakage, but I really don't understand.

First entry of this error in the chroot at /var/local/mailman/logs/error (which I found was open using lsof)

Jun 03 10:50:30 2016 (1364) Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 111, in _oneloop
    self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
  File "/var/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 167, in _onefile
    keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
  File "/var/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/OutgoingRunner.py", line 73, in _dispose
    self._func(mlist, msg, msgdata)
  File "/var/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py", line 152, in process
    deliveryfunc(mlist, msg, msgdata, envsender, refused, conn)
  File "/var/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py", line 285, in verpdeliver
    Decorate.process(mlist, msgcopy, msgdata)
  File "/var/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Decorate.py", line 58, in process
    username = username.encode(Utils.GetCharSet(d['user_language']))
UnicodeError: ASCII encoding error: ordinal not in range(128)

Then I looked at /var/local/mailman/logs/subscribe and yes, at Jun 03 09:32:46 2016 someone with a unicode name confirmed signup to svlug and
svlug-announce.

I think a possible workaround would be to change (in /var/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Decorate.py)

            username = mlist.getMemberName(member)
            if username:
                username = username.encode(Utils.GetCharSet(d['user_language']))
            else:
                username = member

            username = mlist.getMemberName(member)
            if username:
                try:
                    username = username.encode(Utils.GetCharSet(d['user_language']))
                except UnicodeError:
                    username = member
            else:
                username = member

which I can try if there are no objections. Just editing the user name or unsubcribing them is kind of a meh solution since there is no guarantee it
won't happen again.

--Sarah