[volunteers] Nameserver

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 19 00:27:15 PDT 2016

> On Wed, 2016-05-18 at 21:29 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> > I have no idea how a Web query for www.svlug.com ends up at the IP for
> > lists.svlug.org -- and am not going to investigate at this time,
> > because
> > see previous point about not accepting new projects.
>
> As I previously stated, www.svlug.com was previously serving up the
> installation-default index.html file <http://www.svlug.com/index.html>
> until I copied the PHP file in question from lists.svlug.org.

I had a difficult time making sense of the above, because you didn't
state what host you were talking about, and you gave a URL but no file
location.  Some searching was required.  I can now translate that into
specifics.  You seem to mean:

  As I previously explained, gruyere was previously serving up the
  installation default file /var/www/index.html file on requests for
  URL http://www.svlug.com/index.html, until I copied lists.svlug.org's
  /var/old-svlug-rfs/home/httpd/html/index.php to that directory.

Although we are stuck with PHP on gruyere, it strikes me that using a
PHP file for what is essentially static HTML content is gratuitous.
Accordingly, I've mv'd index.php to index.php.disabled as I did on
lists.svlug.org, and created the same equivalent static HTML index.html
file.

> According to the ChangeLog, this was on 5/4.

Your 5/4 entry on ChangeLog does _not_ record this.  It says:

We 2016-05-04   Daniel Gimpelevich <daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us>
           Don Marti had pointed www.svlug.com to this server, but it was not
           serving that. Fixed. Also removed phpinfo.php from the non-.org root.
           Temporarily disabled lists AAAA record because apache doesn't do IPv6.

Please amend your 5/4 site-docs/ChangeLog entry on grurere to accurately
reflect whatever it was you did, that day.

By the way, please keep ASCII-file line lengths under 80 characters
per line.  I keep having to reformat your additions, as yours seem to
run about 82-85, with distressing results on text display.

> As of 5/6, lists.svlug.org is no longer running PHP or Apache.

OK, confirmed, thanks.  I was mislead by:

# grep -i php /etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf
index-file.names            = ( "index.php", "index.html", "index.lighttpd.html" )
static-file.exclude-extensions = ( ".php", ".pl", ".fcgi" )
        "^/404handler.php$" => "http://www.svlug.org/404handler.php"
    server.error-handler-404 = "/404handler.php"
#

I will note in passing that it's a good thing I just converted
lists.svlug.org's /var/old-svlug-rfs/home/httpd/html/index.php
file to a flat HTML index.html one -- because you broke that index.php
in your cutover to Lighty.