[volunteers] Nameserver

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed May 18 16:53:55 PDT 2016

On Wed, 2016-05-18 at 15:45 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Again, I am having to guess what you mean.  Based on my guess, I am
> inferring that you mean that, e.g., an authoritative nameserver for
> zone
> svlug.net would cease to be addressable after protracted svlug.net
> primary nameservice downtime because svlug.net could not be resolved.
> This is incorrect because the relevant name information is in the glue
> records in the parent zone.

I wasn't referring to svlug.net in this instance, but svlug.ORG, because
that's the domain for which there might be no glue records after a
protracted outage since there are no out-of-band nameservers in the same
TLD. After I posted to the list, I went ahead and asked for
ns1.balug.org being secondary. The answer was, in part:

On Wed, 2016-05-18 at 13:08 -0700, Michael Paoli wrote:
> If you want, sure, but be advised it's not exactly high-availability,
> high bandwidth, nor low latency host ... though I certainly do keep
> it up to the extent reasonably feasible, and most of the time the
> latency isn't too bad.

I preliminarily added the ACL allowing AXFR/IXFR to it, but it won't be
live unless he gets word to go ahead despite the above concerns.