[volunteers] Nameserver

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed May 18 09:37:22 PDT 2016

The nameserver is authoritative for the following domains:
svlug.org
svlug.net
svlug.com

The svlug.net zone is not currently used because the domain is now owned
by Josef Grosch, who made it resolve to an unreachable address of his.
If he were to repoint DNS at the registrar to the NS records in the
zone, it would become synonymous with svlug.com, except that ns3
(linuxmafia.com) has secondary service currently commented out. However,
he has not responded to ARIN's contact validation attempts:
https://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/JG370-ARIN

Nameservers delegated for a zone must be in the same parent zone. Others
can be given A-records in the same zone, but I think doing that to _all_
the delegated nameservers can yield a bootstrapping issue after an
extended outage. The svlug.net zone is immune by virtue of primate.net,
and svlug.com by virtue of linuxmafia.com, but svlug.org relied on
nylug.org, which no longer runs a nameserver. To take its place, my
first thought was balug.org, and Michael seemed up for it, but I fell
short of actually asking him to pull the zones as secondary because we
drifted into a discussion of future hosting of the balug.org VM.

Thoughts?