[volunteers] [revival] apache dead on svlug, restarting after this dumped state

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri May 6 21:36:57 PDT 2016

On Fri, 06 May 2016 14:36:49 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Daniel Gimpelevich (daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us):
>
>> This is what I am offering to do next, but if a fresh Jessie is the
>> next step, then I would stick to the reproducible components I
>> introduced, i.e. lighttpd, and not bother with linking it in all the
>> home directories…

I've now written something up. I've also gone ahead and decommissioned
apache in favor of the lighttpd setup. This can be reverted at any time
if need be.

> We have, courtesy of Sarah and Luke, the ability to get a second
> virthost for a few weeks to do an OS migration (upon request to them).
> Before taking up that kind offer, I would suggest working out a
> prototype somewhere on one of our _own_ machines.  If doing that by
> myself, I'd just do it in VirtualBox on my laptop, but that doesn't
> support collaboration.

If it were for a few _weeks_, it could itself be the prototype since it
wouldn't be live during that time, thus solving any potential
collaboration issues, but there's no reason to rush into doing that head-
first.