[volunteers] Fwd: [web-team] Linode Support Ticket 5649987 - Critical Xen Maintenance / Reboot Schedule

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Mon May 2 16:00:29 PDT 2016

On Mon, 2016-05-02 at 15:37 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Daniel Gimpelevich (daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us):
>
> > On Mon, 2016-05-02 at 13:44 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> > > Well, then, since you think regular backups should come first, which
> > > in
> > > fact was what *I* was saying, then are you going to do those?
> >
> > Any thoughts on putting the backups on the mailing list host? I'm
> > presuming my home directory there is intact, just missing
> > the /etc/passwd entry.
>
> Um, are you saying you're not currently able to get in?  I suspect
> that's what you mean, and we can and should fix that.  We can arrange
> that by telephone.  (Not this evening, as I'll be in my Monday evening
> class.)
>
> Beyond that, my thought is 'Sounds ideal'.

A few days before the pentium3 host was retired, I tried to ssh in just
to see whether I still could, and that worked fine. A few days after the
migration from it, I repeated the attempt, and didn't get in. If my home
directory carried over as is, so did the ssh public key, but not the
entry in /etc/passwd. On the old host, as on the Linode, I always had a
"locked password" allowing logins only via public key.