[volunteers] Fwd: [web-team] Linode Support Ticket 5649987 - Critical Xen Maintenance / Reboot Schedule

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon May 2 13:44:47 PDT 2016

> Anything like this should wait until after the regular backup regimen is
> in place.

Are you doing _that_, then?

Daniel, you were going around making a big thing about file permissions
and ownership incorrectness in some contents of
/usr/local/src/site-docs, which struck me as an extremely minor matter
in proper perspective with other system priorities, especially given
that all admins have sudo rights and can fix permission problems if/when
those get in the way.  Otherwise, as long as lighttpd can read the
files, it really doesn't matter.

But sure, you had a minor, tiny little point.  So, instead of just
spot-fixing, I invited you to script that fix, which is what we try to
do when we're serious.  And I even give you a betaware cron script that
is probably exactly what's needed to fix what _you_ seemed to think was
important, even though I found the entire discussion a ridiculous
time-sink on something that really didn't matter.

So, now that we've wasted all that time, and I've handed you a possible
real solution on a platter, you're saying 'Oh, this should be put off,
because we don't have regular backups, only spot backups.'  WTF?

Well, then, since you think regular backups should come first, which in
fact was what *I* was saying, then are you going to do those?

First we get time chewed up over your impression that svnserve needs to
be fixed, which was not the case since we'd deliberately stopped using
it, then we're obliged to discuss making svn work without sudo, which
is very nice but a fine point since it worked fine with sudo, then it's
file ownership/permissions, which is very nice but a fine point since
everyone has sudo, then you say never mind that because there's
something more important first -- but you say nothing about helping with
that more-important thing.  WTF?