[volunteers] www.svlug.org NSD and distro upgrade notes

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Mon May 2 13:06:07 PDT 2016

On Mon, 2016-05-02 at 09:16 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Yes, this is part of what's motivating me to want to get to 14.04.1 LTS
> (Trusty Tahr) before we are on an orphaned version.  We're overdue.

Going to Trusty buys only two more years, whereas going to Xenial buys
four.

> I would not force the upgrade to 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) until the
> first point release 16.04.01 LTS, at the very earliest, i.e., I would
> take my cue from what heuristics are built into the do-release-upgrade
> tool.

I repeat: This is in July, and Precise will continue to be supported for
several months afterward.

> Yes, and I'm distinctly unthrilled about that.  It would be nice to move
> sideway to, say, OpenRC[1], but I would need to somehow test that, which
> I'd have to think about.  I hate just bobbing along taking paths of
> least resistance in Canonical, Ltd.'s questionable choices in system
> software, but that might be safest.

Canonical simply didn't have a viable alternative given the six-month
release schedule, because unifying the base packages with the desktop
flavors would have otherwise required Devuan to be ready, and it isn't
yet.

> Yes, but please note that we _always_ run whatever Linode-compiled
> kernel Linode recommends in its bespoke upgrade documents for Ubuntu
> versions, selecting those in the Linode customer console.

This is incorrect. The customer console is currently set to boot the VM
into whatever the very latest Linode-compiled kernel is at boot time. If
it were rebooted today, you would find it booted into a 4.5 kernel.

> [1] OpenRC runs as an event-driven main process manager and service
> supervisor, but not as PID 1. You typically run some small init of your
> choosing as PID 1.  (SysVInit's init will do.)  If this were Debian, I'd
> migrate to such a setup with confidence, as I've tested this already in
> a VM and it works perfectly, but then, Debian isn't a distro where
> servers are an afterthought.
>
> If I really care about that problem, I suppose I could set up a replica
> of www.svlug.org in a VM at home, and test-migrate it to use OpenRC, but
> that seem like a whole lot of effort for one small matter.  OTOH, having
> a VM-based test platform at home would not be a bad thing for other
> reasons, either.

Four words: Ubuntu is not Debian.