[volunteers] Fwd: [web-team] Linode Support Ticket 5649987 - Critical Xen Maintenance / Reboot Schedule

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun May 1 10:28:19 PDT 2016

> This was not the case when svnserve was used,...

Indeed, good point.

> ...and there is no need to require it along with the implications that
> go with it even without svnserve.

If you can make that work by chowning the repo, excellent!  Again,
thanks for this.  At the time (I guess), I had stopped at the 'works
using sudo, so good enough' point.

Again, sorry about introducing confusion into the recent discussion by
not bothering to read my own docs.

I suspect site-docs/svn-instructions offers little help to
version-control newcomers, e.g., the workflow example says nothing about
doing 'svn add [file]' inside the /var/www/svlug-main working area if
creating a new file you want tracked in the repo.

Which on reflection is also the answer to my 'It's a bad idea to add
large binary files to version control' objection, i.e., 'Well, just
don't "svn add" them, then.'

I still think it's kinda ghastly to have the svn repo be _on_ the
production Web host, and IMO regular backups ought to be a high
priority.  My spot backup is A Good Thing, but we'd feel really stupid a
year from now if we blew up the Linode host and had only Google cache
Web scraping and a one-year-old backup set to work from.