[volunteers] Fwd: [web-team] Linode Support Ticket 5649987 - Critical Xen Maintenance / Reboot Schedule

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sun May 1 10:05:21 PDT 2016

On Sun, 2016-05-01 at 04:03 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> site-docs/svn-instructions says, basically, to use local tree
> /var/www/svlug-main as the svn working area, and check changes into
> svn
> with root authority, e.g., quoting site-docs/svn-instructions again:
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This was not the case when svnserve was used, and there is no need to
require it along with the implications that go with it even without
svnserve. The third section of svn-instructions reads as follows:

> We haven't yet figured out how to do without root-equivalent access on
> this machine for a lot of routine Web Team operations, so you should
> have been added to /etc/sudoers when your account was set up.  Check,
> please.  If you cannot wield sudo access, get someone's attention!

This sounds like eliminating the need for root authority is a to-do item
on a case-by-case basis. My proposal addressed one such case as I
noticed it.