[volunteers] Possible Topic: SSD versus Spinning Disks

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Apr 30 20:52:40 PDT 2016

Quoting Mark Weisler (mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us):

> Would "SSD versus Spinning Disks" be a topic for a potential future SVLUG talk?

Oh, hell yes.

Not only is the raw performance advantage a good topic to detail but
also:

o  How SSDs interact with 'Laptop Mode' settings and software
   http://samwel.tk/laptop_mode/faq, section 4
o  Choice of filesystem, partition alignment, TRIM support on ext4 / XFS
   / JFS using the 'fstrim' utility (replacing old recommendations to
  use the 'discard' mount option), swap strategies, mount
  options and partition strategies to avoid read/write wear to the SSD,
  use of tmpfs to avoid read/write wear to the SSD, 'elevator=noop' in
  the boot options, and on and on.  This is a big and fruitful topic.
  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives
  https://wiki.debian.org/SSDOptimization
  http://news.siduction.org/2014/10/revisting-an-article-on-how-to-set-up-solid-state-disks-with-linux/
  http://blog.neutrino.es/2013/howto-properly-activate-trim-for-your-ssd-on-linux-fstrim-lvm-and-dmcrypt/
  http://techreport.com/review/25889/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-500tb-update
  http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=76921  (old)
  https://freeswitch.org/confluence/display/FREESWITCH/SSD+Tuning+for+Linux

Overview of SSDs:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/solid-state-drives-get-one-already

If I absolutely had to write a presentation on SSDs in Linux, I could
use the above to do one in about a day -- while carefully disclaiming
expertise on my traditional 'This talk sucked!' slide at the end of the
presentation stack.

> I'm not working much in Linux anymore but a couple of years ago, when
> I was active, the transition to SSD was in motion. Some organizations
> would use SSD for the most frequently accessed data and spinners were
> used for everything else. If this makes sense as a topic please let me
> know and I can ask some appropriate organizations.

That's probably smarter than my frantically cobbling up a solo
presentation on the subject out of nothing.

> Seems this topic pertains mostly to medium and large servers running
> "in production". But, in time, the trends from production servers
> typically appear in the rest of the computer population so this might
> well be relevant to all of us.

Well, FWIW, a lot of people I know have been retrofitting older
workstation PCs and laptops with SSDs like mad for about 6-7 years, now.
On the former, often it's an SSD as an adjunct to the existing
spinning-rust drive, and tuning them is more flexible, as you move
particular things onto the SSD while carefully avoiding putting other
things (like /var) onto it.