[volunteers] Fwd: [web-team] Linode Support Ticket 5649987 - Critical Xen Maintenance / Reboot Schedule

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Apr 19 04:18:53 PDT 2016

On Sun, 2015-12-13 at 18:36 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Micah Dowty originally (2006) had the host run other stuff:  snmpd,
> svnserve, inetd.   Over the years, I've carefully pared down the
> bloat,
> and fixed a number of sysadmin errors and omissions.  (For example,
> svnserve wasn't actually needed, but was enabled somewhat lazily by
> someone (er, Lisa), so I turned it and xinetd off, realised our svn
> setup broke, fixed the svn serup to no longer need svnserve, and then
> everything was happy.

Almost: Under the old svn setup, check-ins from any authorized user were
communicated to svnserve, which recorded them while running as the "svn"
user. Under the new setup, check-ins require root privilege (a local
bug) with "root" as the only recorded contributor, because the
now-unused "svn" user still owns the repository. I suspect that the
long-ish list of edits that have not been checked into version control
might be related.

Completing the fix _should_ simply be a matter of:
chgrp -R www-data /var/svn/web
chmod -R g+w /var/svn/web