[volunteers] (forw) Re: [sv VERY OFFLIST lug] State of the speaker program, and venues: not good

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 11 18:12:17 PST 2016

Thank you, Steve.

Some of these are things we've done in similar situations and might
indeed do in the near future.

In the recent past, too, I was quite confident that between my friend
Jesse Monroy's and my own ability to spin up a Linux talk out of a
grab-bag of ideas, we could keep SVLUG supplied with presentations
immediately.  The one thing that's changed about that is Jesse's moved
to West Texas, so he's a candidate speaker only rarely when in town.

I _can_ still invent a decent talk out of just an idea and an evening two
of research.  I _might_ be able to keep doing that for a long time,
though members would get tired of hearing my mellifluous baritone.
If you look at my talks' posted slide presentations, there's _always_ a
concluding slide saying I pulled this talk out of /dev/ass in X small
number of days and merely researched the topic until I knew enough --
and that _you can do a better job_.

Strikes me as a vital message:  Nobody need be an expert just to give a
presentation.  Speakers need only have an interest in the topic and feel
they have something to say.  Which is the truth!  Last thing we want to
do is intimidate hobbyists into not offering.  We're hobbyists, too.
None of us is an expert.

That one suggestion of showing a good DVD, that's the only one SVLUG
really can't afford to try, because we're too high-profile and because
we can't afford to create trouble with Symantec:  Without securing
public performance rights, showing (e.g.) Revolution OS is a copyright
violation and can lead to serious legal trouble.

I expect I'll have more energy to drum up series of 10 minute
presentations, or find in-house enthusiasts for something, or to write a
presentation on something I don't know yet -- as soon as I'm over the
flu.  At the moment, any of those things sounds exhausting.

Mailing list this is going to is the volunteers' working list.  In past
years, we'd _insist_ that discussion of SVLUG internal matters be on it,
to not add to the already overflowing main list.  Because both lists are
now ghost towns, that's no longer an issue, and sometimes I raise
organisational matters on the main list because of its _much_ larger
membership.

----- Forwarded message from Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> -----