[volunteers] (forw) Re: Cocoaheads meeting: Jan 21 6:00pm ??? 8:00pm Bodega Bay Tech Talk Room 1950

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jan 23 10:23:37 PST 2016

Cocoaheads talk of the other day.

----- Forwarded message from Eric Wing <ewmailing at gmail.com> -----

Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 21:42:16 -0800
From: Eric Wing <ewmailing at gmail.com>
To: cocoaheads---silicon-valley at googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Cocoaheads meeting: Jan 21 6:00pm ??? 8:00pm Bodega Bay Tech Talk
	Room 1950
	autolearn=ham version=3.3.1

On 1/15/16, David Phillip Oster <davidphilliposter at gmail.com> wrote:
> We've got a CocoaHeads meeting coming up, Thu, Jan 21, 6:00pm – 8:00pm in
> the Google building we're in most often.
>
> Note that this is at six PM. I've had requests to move to the new time to
> make it easier for Google employees to attend.
>
> Bodega Bay Tech Talk Room 1950
> 1950 Charleston Rd.
> Mountain View, CA 94043
>
> We're meeting at the Bodega Bay Tech Talk room, on the ground floor of
> Building 1950, 1950 Charleston Rd. Mountain View, CA.  Come around to the
> back of the building (the side furthest from Charleston Rd) and look for
> the small sign near the door.
>
> Location, here:
>
> https://www.google.com/maps/@37.4220219,-122.0874282,18z
>
> If you'd like to speak to the group, or have questions you'd like us to
> discuss at the meeting, feel free to post them here.
>
> I've got a few words to say on delegates versus notifications versus
> key-value-observing.

David suggested there might be interest in Swift on Linux. I've been
playing with this a lot, particularly a focus on SteamOS and Raspberry
Pi 2.
Here's a quick demo of a Swift hello world app running on SteamOS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw9lUnnWOKY&feature=youtu.be

I can talk about this...not sure what specifically yet. Might be kind
of a brain dump. However, this will be probably more about things
supporting Swift than the actual language itself (except maybe a short
blurb on C-interop), e.g. about building it, system dependencies,
build system infrastructure, Linux ABIs (or the lack thereof). To give
some context, I'm interested in the ability of shipping cross-platform
user-application binaries, which has different needs than server
backends.

The new earlier time is a bit of challenge for me, so I may arrive late.

-Eric