[volunteers] (forw) Re: Fwd: New messages in ??? Colleen Harig (SVLUG (Silicon Valley Linux Users Group))

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 24 16:39:57 PST 2015

The way this works:

/tmp $ scp stacki-svlug.pdf www.svlug.org:/tmp
Password:
stacki-svlug.pdf
100%   21MB  36.4KB/s   09:56    c
/tmp $ ssh www.svlug.org
[...]
rick at gruyere:~$ sudo su -
[...]
root at gruyere:~ # cd www/prev/
root at gruyere:~/www/prev # mkdir 2015nov
root at gruyere:~/www/prev # cd 2015nov/
root at gruyere:~/www/prev/2015nov # mv /tmp/stacki-svlug.pdf .
root at gruyere:~/www/prev/2015nov # chown www-data:www-data .  stacki-svlug.pdf
root at gruyere:~/www/prev/2015nov # cd ../..
root at gruyere:~/www # vi svlug-news.txt

This is a file auto-parsed by the PHP interpreter to create (a) the
'SVLUG News' column on the front page and (b)
http://www.svlug.org/news.php, the 'News" link from the navbar.

Study the format of past entries.  It's not hard, but formatting
matters.  New entry for Greg's talk says:

category=svlug-meeting
posted=20151224
expires=20200630
title=Greg Bruno's slides have been posted
Talk Slides:  Greg Bruno's Nov. 2015 slides (<a href="http://www.svlug.org/prev/2015nov/stacki-svlug.pdf">22 MB PDF</a>): Stacki: Open Source Bare-Metal Provisioning

The date off in the year 2020 is a reasonable proxy for 'Don't expire this entry
from the front page for the foreseeable future'.  (The 'News' page
carries all SVLUG News items back to 1997, i.e., it's cumulative.  The
front page is intende to carry only fairly recent items, and thus
enforces a pre-declared expiration date.)

As a last test, you should of course re-load the www.svlug.org front
page, and make sure the link works.