[volunteers] (forw) Tracking ID [15886078] (renewal of domains)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 2 19:27:48 PST 2015

Quoting Jesse Monroy (jesse650 at gmail.com):

> I need a test bed. Is there a sh script that wraps this?
> Or an command line invocation you could share?
> Lastly, I need a data set.

Command line invocation already posted (and provided here again):

   domain-check -w -d=svlug.org

A mimimal and sufficient data set is on the command line in the form of
the target domain.  If you want to check .info as well (though it's the
same problem with the same date-format challenge), test like this:

   domain-check -w -d=dragaera.info

That's all you need as a test platform, but, since you also asked for a
wrapper script:

:r /etc/cron.weekly/domain-check

#! /bin/sh

# domain-check	Cron script to check domain expirations.
#
#		This is a pitifully primitive cron script to invoke domain-check
#		by Ben Okopnik ( ben at linuxgazette.net ) against lists
#		of domains in /usr/local/share.  A better replacement
#		would notify a list of appropriate persons for each
#		domain, rather than just Rick Moen.
#
#		Written by Rick Moen (rick at linuxmafia.com)
#		$Id: cron.weekly,v 1.01 2007/07/02 21:03:05 rick

set -o errexit  #aka "set -e": exit if any line returns non-true value
set -o nounset  #aka "set -u": exit upon finding an uninitialised variable

test -e /usr/local/share/domains || exit 0
test -x /usr/local/bin/domain-check || exit 0

/usr/local/bin/domain-check -w -e=rick at linuxmafia.com  -x=90 -F=/usr/local/share/domains

A pared-down variant of /usr/local/share/domains is what I just posted a
few minutes ago, but here it is again:

#bafug.org
#balug.org
#baylisa.org
baypiggies.net
#buug.org
#cocoaheads.org
#eblug.org
#lugod.org
#nblug.org
#penlug.org
#saclug.org
sf-lug.com
#sf-lug.org
#socosa.org
svlug.com
#svlug.net   expired, available for re-registration around March 13, 2015
#svlug.org

Obviously, for testing the .org domains, you would uncomment those.