[volunteers] Fwd: SVLUG December 4th Meeting: Interest In Video Recording

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Dec 3 16:17:13 PST 2013

Quoting Lisa Corsetti (svlug at flygirl.com):

> One quick comment.  If you have any intent of recording the
> meeting, you might want to double-check with the "hosts" to be
> sure that they have no objections.  I doubt they would, but I
> believe it would be polite/appropriate to check and to let them
> know of the intent to do so.

Symantec's never had a problem with videotaping.

In case it wasn't clear, there is no technology or
permission-from-Symantec issue.  There's a
it'd-be-nice-but-nobody's-furnishing-the-not-inconsiderable-volunteer-
effort-and-resources issue.

This is one of the classic things SVLUG has periodically been hit up
about for decedes:  Some (doubtless nice and worthy) person elsewhere on
the Internet, in this case a mailing list subscriber in Texas, says
'Hey, why don't you-plural-nobody-in-particular record these meetings
and make video available on the Internet?'  Good idea.  Requires local
person who cares, digital camera, modest expertise in video processing,
handling, hosting, and bandwidth.  Unless and until that shows up, it's
just a guy in Texas wishing for some unspecified stranger in Silicon
Valley to do a bunch of work to give him something he doesn't currently
have.

One _might_ write back and say 'Hey, why don't
you-plural-nobody-in-particular record LUG meetings in Texas and make
video available on the Internet?'