[volunteers] Fwd: SVLUG December 4th Meeting: Interest In Video Recording

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Dec 2 16:33:22 PST 2013

Quoting Mark Weisler (mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us):

> We (I) get the occasional request that a presentation be video
> recorded and then posted for viewing.  Here is one such request. I
> have already responded to Andrew saying that I doubt the upcoming
> presentation will be recorded.

Yeah, I occasionally get queries like that, too.  (Andrew Piziali
appears to be an engineer in Parker, Texas.)

It's encouraging that people are interested.  One might wryly observe
that people are invariably interested in Someone Else But Nobody In
Particular purchasing the video gear, doing the production work, posting
the video, and arranging or paying for bandwidth.

Some points:

1.  In the past when there's been someone with a video camera who's
been interested in running such an operation, the biggest hitch has been
audio.  The most vital is capturing the speaker's voice
understandably, of course -- and the key to that is setting aside enough
time _before_ the presentation to get the microphoning right.  Just
winging it tends to yield poor (and unfixble) results.

The subtler problem is audience Q&A.  Again, a little forethought and
planning does wonders.  After seeing this bollixed in several
spectacularly bad ways, my best recommendation is:  Get the speaker to
agree to _repeat_ audience questions/comments for the microphone, and
keep reminding him or her when the inevitable forgetting follows.

2.  Also, I strongly recommend declaring up-front that the recording will be
under Creative Commons BY-ND (Attribution-NoDerivs) licensing.
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/4.0/

Choice of Creative Commons licence can be debated and various of them
have advantages and drawbacks.  https://creativecommons.org/licenses/
What they all have in common is permitting redistribution indefinitely
without security additional permission.