[volunteers] Some questions about Lighty and svn on www.svlug.org

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 31 17:30:01 PST 2011

Quoting Lisa Corsetti (svlug at flygirl.com):

> You're welcome.  And, in fact, I have some regret that I have
> been unable to help for the last 18 months or so.  Work has been
> killing me (not literally), I had some moderately serious
> medical issues, I am working on another pilot rating, and my
> daughter has been keeping me hopping in the remainder of my
> "free time."

Glad to hear you speaking of the health issues in the past tense.

> Interesting.  Since we went to ubuntu server, I decided to do
> the same on my personal linode and, IIRC, I have upgraded
> several times via CLI.  I didn't think it was that difficult,
> nor did I remember using a special tool.

It's not difficult.  I just didn't, to be blunt, have a lot of faith in
Ubuntu QA.  So, I've been putting this whole matter off, knowing that
I'd need to be prepared for the worst-case scenario of the node's
services becoming unusable and it needing to be rebuilt.  (That is
why I painstakingly found and archived offsystem all files we'd
need to rebuild it, before starting the series of upgrades.)

I didn't actually _need_ do-release-upgrade:  It appears to merely
check the archive.ubuntu.com package mirrors for new release data,
ask the admin if he/she wants to upgrade if there's a new release
available, bulk-edit /etc/apt/sources.list, and do
'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade'.  That's what I did
manually already in Sept. 2006 to upgrade from 5.10 Hoary to
6.06 Dapper, then in Dec. 2007 to upgrade from 6.06 Dapper to
6.10 Edgy, to 7.04 Feisty, and to 7.10 Gutsy.  But I remembered
some of that as being unexpectedly rough, and I wanted to be
prepared if something went sideways.

And, you know, the bug in the 8.04 LTS Hardy to 10.04 LTS Lucid
upgrade was pretty appalling.

> Just did a quick search and the only thing I found is pretty
> much what you say above:

Not bad.  By the way, I ended up, in the end, with this
/etc/apt/sources.list (manually spruced up a bit):

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid main restricted universe multiverse

## Updates:  Recommended fixes to non-security bugs
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates main restricted universe multiverse
## Security:  Patches for security vulnerabilities
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-security main restricted universe multiverse

## Backports: Futher packages still in development.
# deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-backports main restricted universe multiverse
## Proposed:  Testing area for updates.
# deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-proposed main restricted universe multiverse

# deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid main restricted universe multiverse
# deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-security main restricted universe multiverse

> From one of your earlier messages to the list, it seems like you
> have solved this problem?

Yes.  Thanks.

I've backfilled a lot of the machine's history to site-docs/ChangeLog,
FYI.