[volunteers] Currently locked out of www.svlug.org

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 31 01:03:47 PST 2011

Upon arriving home, and trying to ssh into newly upgraded www.svlug.org
to do more work, I now get:

$ ssh www.svlug.org
$

Increasing verbosity:

$ ssh -v rick at www.svlug.org
OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-5, OpenSSL 0.9.8o 01 Jun 2010
debug1: Reading configuration data /home/rmoen/.ssh/config
debug1: Applying options for *
debug1: Connecting to www.svlug.org [64.62.190.98] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/rmoen/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /home/rmoen/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home/rmoen/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
$

I get pretty much the same result from any client IP.  Web-searching the
error message gets varied and contradictory advice.

I would be tempted to use Linode's Web-administrative interface to
reboot the virthost, but it turns out that my PDA's battery has gone
dead.  I'll be able to reload it with data including the Linode customer
credentials tomorrow.

This whole misadventure does highlight one of the drawbacks of virtual
machines:  You cannot just walk up to the console with a recovery CD,
because there's no console to walk up to.  Thus my point.  When sshd
malfunctions, you are to a first approximation just a bit hosed.

I'm tired, and will resume investigation in the morning.