[volunteers] (forw) Re: Your Wed., Feb. 3 talk at SVLUG

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 15 18:58:59 PST 2010

Merged into our Web pages.

----- Forwarded message from David Weekly <david at pbworks.com> -----

Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 18:30:59 -0800
From: David Weekly <david at pbworks.com>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: Your Wed., Feb. 3 talk at SVLUG

Okay, long overdue. I'm lame. Here goes:

Infrastructure Memes: How spreadable concepts can create and empower
communities.

The Internet enables ideas about how communities can self-organize to
spread rapidly and globally along with the infrastructure required to
power a group, enabling "freely franchiseable" models like LUGs,
BarCamps, DevHouses, hackerspaces, etc. In this sense, the
infrastructure for the community is communicated as an idea virus, or
meme - a sort of cultural "grey goo". Maintaining a sufficient
consistency of the idea such that global community "identity" is
coherent is a challenge, leading to discussions of Community Marks and
other novel forms of trademark. Models vary wildly in this level of
control, from the Catholic Church through TEDx and all the way through
those who self-label as "anarchists". These models often lead to
friction with existing, slower-moving establishments such as
governments, to whom these forms of organization are alien and
subversive. Examples and mild historical perspective will be provided;
the talk hopes to at the least to stir discussion about effective ways
to spread positive community concepts.

--
Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/dweekly

----- End forwarded message -----