[volunteers] Elections and Installfest

Margaret Wendall mwendall at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 20:21:43 PST 2009

Hello, All,

First, I think the method of electing officers  used last year is as good as
we need, and a lot less trouble than others like "secret" ballots. Let's use
it.

Second, I've been concerned about the Installfests for some time. As great
as Evergreen College is for me, it isn't good for most of our members. It
really is a long distance for someone in Palo Alto or Hayward to drive, and
public transportation isn't great on weekends. Dave Eisenberg is good for
monitoring us, and for helping with simple Linux problems, but he doesn't
know everything about every subject. (This is OK. None of us know
everything.) I think he's done a great job, and thank him for his work.

It may be time to stop holding Installfests. The whole tenor of the LUG has
drastically changed in the last couple of years. We seldom have speakers on
non-technical Linux projects. There is an emphasis on how something works,
not how to use it, and we're not attracting newbies who would be most
interested in Installfests. This may not be bad, because times do change.

Would I volunteer to monitor an Installfest? Yes, if it were held in North
San Jose, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, or Santa Clara. I don't have a lot of things
I have to do on Saturday. There are a lot of things I don't know how to do
in Linux, but if we attracted others who could help with problems, I could
do it  I attend most of the current Installfests. If there is still no
interest, we should end them. I've gained a lot through SVLUG, and if I can
help, I will.

Margaret Wendall

--
Margaret Wendall