[volunteers] Do we use that domain ?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 13 13:38:17 PST 2009

Quoting Bruce Coston (jane_ikari at yahoo.com):

> I hope that's some kind of joke . - Bruce

Not any kind of joke at all.  And the domain should NOT be allowed to
expire.

I'm guessing you take the position that the domain should be allowed to
expire because (like svlug.com) it is merely mapped to the same IP and
thus services that svlug.org is.

No, sir.

There are good reasons of long standing why SVLUG has kept svlug.net and
svlug.com in friendly hands.  In particular, there was a time when Sam
Ockman of Penguin Computing independently grabbed svlug.com and turned
it into an advertising site for his hardware company.  SVLUG's officers
asked him to, basically, not be a dick, but he ignored the request.
We were able to pick it up later, though, and keep the same thing from
happening again.

It's likely that Sam was a dick about that particular issue mostly
because SVLUG was at that time heavily associated with VA Linux Systems
employees such as Chris di Bona, Marc Merlin, Rob Walker, Lisa Corsetti,
and Amy Abascal, and Sam had founded Penguin Computing as a result of
his departure on extremely unfriendly terms from VA.  Whatever his
motives, though, SVLUG learned the lesson, and  kept (well, tried to
keep) the big-three versions of its domain name in friendly hands,
thereafter.