[volunteers] (forw) How to be kind to the listadmin

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Oct 22 12:14:45 PDT 2009

FYI.

Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 12:13:47 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: Skip Evans <skip at bigskypenguin.com>
Subject: How to be kind to the listadmin

Hi, Skip.  I've noticed that the following seems to happen a great deal:

1.  You post to svlug at lists.svlug.org, not noticing that you're
posting from one of your alternate, non-subscribed addresses
(which is perfectly OK, mind you; I'm not complaining).

2.  You receive a notice that the post is held for listadmin approval
because it was from a non-subscribed address.  The notice includes a
URL you can visit to cancel the posting.

3.  You don't visit that URL, but rather ignore it and re-post the
message from skip at bigskypenguin.com (your subscribed address).

4.  Some hours later, I'm reading personal mail and see a Mailman
notice to me as listadmin, letting me know there's something from you in
the held queue, detained because it was from a non-subscribed address.
I fire up a Web browser, visit the admin queue, and spend five minutes
composing a nice, detailed explanation of what happened to your held
post, along with the suggestion that you subscribe your alternate
addresses and set "nomail" for them, so the problem will not recur,
i.e., so future messages from those addresses will go straight through.
(At this point, I'm not yet reading new mailing list mail, so I'm not
aware that you've ignored the held message and re-posted.)

My nice, detailed, personalised explanation goes back to you atop a
Mailman "reject" notice for the held copy -- for your convenience in
case you want to re-post.

You ignore the explanation.  You ignore the suggestion.

5.  A short while later, I see that you re-posted your message,
and didn't bother cancelling the held posting, meaning my care in
scrupulously handling and explaining the held post was wasted,
especially since you ignored my suggestion.

This _entire_ (above) cycle repeats every few days -- and has been going
on as long as I can remember you being on the mailing list.  You are by
far my biggest recurring problem, in that regard.

I have a suggestion.  Make that a request, if you like:  Go right now to
http://lists.svlug.org/lists/listinfo/svlug .  For each of your various
alternate addresses, fill out the "Subscribing to svlug" form.  Then,
for each, use the "change your subscription options" field at the bottom
of the page, to enter the options subpage and set the "nomail" option.