[volunteers] Volunteer, & Join meetings without being there physically, BerkeleyTIP -was Re: (forw) Re: Hardware, software

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Tue Jun 23 17:00:14 PDT 2009

Hi Nazmul  :)  Here are a couple opportunities for you (& anyone) to
a) Join interesting GNU(Linux) & free SW meetings without having to attend physically, &
b) enjoy making some volunteer part time contributions to the Free SW / GNU(Linux) communities:

Join the global Free SW HW & Culture VOIP meetings of BerkeleyTIP
http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal

There are even some people in WPLUG (Western Pennsylvania LUG) who've been interested in attending the BTIP meetings - maybe you all could get a local in person group together to join with the Global BTIP meetings. :)

Part of the reason I'm responding to your message here is cause I'm not only a 10 year member of SVLUG, but have worked volunteering for SVLUG in the past to try to enable something similar to what you mentioned - "is there any way i can join meeting without physical ?"  I worked making some video recordings of SVLUG meetings so people could learn the content from the meeting without having to attend physically.  [Unfortunately, I was never able to make the time to get the recordings online.  :( ]

But, to enable the global Free SW HW & Culture community to meet "live", I  started the Global BTIP meetings last year - which are _much_ better than mere video recordings. :)  We have people joining the meeting via VOIP (& IRC) from around the US, & also Germany, England, Iran & India so far [we just had someone join from Canada this past meeting :) ], & I haven't yet even gotten to my planned steps of getting announcements yet to global LUGs! :)

BTW, the voice clarity is absolutely perfect from people all around the globe - it's as clear as speaking to someone in the same physical room.  :)

We have many interesting UNIX/linux admin opportunities:

1) We just got our own Asterisk VOIP conference server box online, & have many interesting improvements we'd like to do - ex: get a web status page showing who is in the conference, like a nic list in an IRC channel; get a live global map showing where people are connecting from, etc.

2) This year one possible goal is to move to our own web site & mailing list, from Google sites & groups.  Skills like Apache, Drupal, Mailman, etc, would all be welcome contributions to BTIP.

3) Live video/webcam would be the next step up from VOIP,

4) A live "speaker" audio or video stream (maybe ustream.tv ?) would be great to implement - We just had Richard Stallman as an IRC "speaker" last month.  We plan to have other exciting live speakers with audio & video streaming.

==
So, if SVLUG doesn't have a need for your skills now, i invite you (& everyone) to join the global, leading, Free SW HW & Culture group, BerkeleyTIP, enjoy communicating with people around the world, & maybe make some volunteer contributions.  [It's also a great way to get new skills to add to one's resume.]  -  We'd be glad to have you (& everyone interested in those topics) join in with our global community.

Our next global VOIP meeting is on July 4, 2009, Saturday, 1.5 weeks from today.  [You can see a little mini call for volunteers announcement for a  special event party get together in Berkeley for everyone on July 4, which I just posted to the main SVLUG mail list.]

Join our main mailing list, say "hi", & let us know what you're interested in.  :)
http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal

I hope to hear from you there, & live online at the meetings. :)