[volunteers] (forw) Re: Hardware, software

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jun 16 17:34:13 PDT 2009

(Forwarded from a private discussion some of us started while the mailing
list server was in a hung state, the last couple of days.)

I wrote:

> Are you up for that?  If not, is anyone else?

FYI, Ed did agree to take on that duty (weekly backups of
lists.svlug.org data), albeit it might take a while for him to get it
going (working with his son Clement).  Thank you, Ed and Clement!  That
is the single most important work done for SVLUG in a long time.  If we
can get a reliable weekly (say) cronjob pulling down the essential files
from lists.svlug.org via rsync/ssh, that will be a major, major victory,
and a colossal relief to me personally.

Mark Weisler:  Would you or Andrew please _thank_ Brian (or whoever) at
Via.net for their help of this morning?

OK, something new -- mailing list membership rosters:  I pointed out to
Ed Cherlin on the telephone that the crown jewels of lists.svlug.org
were the mailboxes' cumulative mbox files in
/var/local/mailman/archives/private/*.mbox/  -- but that the membership
rosters were the thing we'd miss second-most severely, were we to lose
them (or need to revert to a 9-month-old backup).  And the rosters are
not a lot of data.

On lists.svlug.org:

# ls /var/local/mailman/archives/private/ | grep -v mbox
carpool
jobs
mailman-owner
officers
smaug
speakers
svlug
svlug-announce
test
volunteers
volunteers-old
web-team
#

That is the set of mailing lists on the machine, produced by looking for
the archives' base diretories.  Actually, the more-direct way of getting
that information is to query Mailman directly:

# /var/local/mailman/bin/list_lists
13 matching mailing lists found:
           Carpool - Saving gas (or gas money!) getting to/from SVLUG events
              Jobs - Linux and Linux-related job postings, fulltime and contract
              Lsec - Archive of the former Linux Security mailing list, 2001-2005
     Mailman-owner - [no description available]
          Officers - Officers of the Silicon Valley Linux Users Group
             Smaug - Smaug Discussion List
          Speakers - Archive of the former Speakers mailing list, 2002-2005
             svlug - Discussion list for the Silicon Valley Linux Users Group
    svlug-announce - Announcements relating to the Silicon Valley Linux User's Group
              Test - [no description available]
        volunteers - Volunteers of the Silicon Valley Linux User Group
    volunteers-old - Old archive of Volunteers mailing list
          web-team - These are the folks who keep our Web site running

More tersely, with the -b (bare) option:

# /var/local/mailman/bin/list_lists -b
carpool
jobs
lsec
mailman-owner
officers
smaug
speakers
svlug
svlug-announce
test
volunteers
volunteers-old
web-team

"lsec", "speakers", and "volunteers-old" are archive-only Web
back-postings from dead mailing lists.  (Actually, "lsec" is a ghost,
since the archive was rubbish and has been deleted.)

"mailman-owner" is Mailman's internal-housekeeping mailing list.
"Test":  Well, it's a test mailing list.  We don't need to keep track of
who's a member.

That leaves:  carpool, jobs, officers, smaug, svlug, svlug-announce,
volunteers, web-team.

Wouldn't it be nice if some folks got exports of those rosters, every
week?  Say, as an e-mail?

To quote Daniel J. Bernstein, "This is Unix.  Stop acting so helpless."

$ su -
# cd /etc/cron.weekly/
# vi mailman-rosters    #This is a new cronjob I'm about to create.

#!/bin/sh
#
# mailman-rosters:  Cron script to mail out current Mailman mailing list
# rosters.
#
/var/local/mailman/bin/list_members -f carpool > /tmp/carpool-roster
mail -s "Carpool Roster as of $(date +%F)" rick at linuxmafia.com < /tmp/carpool-roster
#
/var/local/mailman/bin/list_members -f jobs > /tmp/jobs-roster
mail -s "Jobs Roster as of $(date +%F)" rick at linuxmafia.com < /tmp/jobs-roster
#
/var/local/mailman/bin/list_members -f officers > /tmp/officers-roster
mail -s "Officers Roster as of $(date +%F)" rick at linuxmafia.com < /tmp/officers-roster
#
/var/local/mailman/bin/list_members -f smaug > /tmp/smaug-roster
mail -s "Smaug Roster as of $(date +%F)" rick at linuxmafia.com < /tmp/smaug-roster
#
/var/local/mailman/bin/list_members -f smaug > /tmp/smaug-roster
mail -s "Smaug Roster as of $(date +%F)" abcruzww at gmail.com < /tmp/smaug-roster
#
/var/local/mailman/bin/list_members -f svlug > /tmp/svlug-roster
mail -s "Svlug Roster as of $(date +%F)" rick at linuxmafia.com < /tmp/svlug-roster
#
/var/local/mailman/bin/list_members -f svlug-announce > /tmp/svlug-announce-roster
mail -s "Svlug-announce Roster as of $(date +%F)" rick at linuxmafia.com < /tmp/svlug-announce-roster
#
/var/local/mailman/bin/list_members -f volunteers > /tmp/volunteers-roster
mail -s "Volunteers Roster as of $(date +%F)" rick at linuxmafia.com < /tmp/volunteers-roster
#
/var/local/mailman/bin/list_members -f carpool > /tmp/web-team-roster
mail -s "Web-team Roster as of $(date +%F)" rick at linuxmafia.com < /tmp/web-team-roster

Save.  Exit.  chmod 755 mailman-rosters.
Test by running ./mailman-rosters from the shell prompt.  ("You've got
mail!")

/etc/cron.weekly/mailman-rosters sort of sucks as an example of
scripting, but it works.

If you'd like to get copies, and have shell & sudo on lists.svlug.org,
add yourself.  ("abcruzww at gmail.com" is Peter Belew, one of the main
guys running Smaug.)

If you're an SVLUG volunteer who doesn't have shell on lists.svlug.org,
or do but lack sudo, then ask.

----- End forwarded message -----