[volunteers] (forw) Re: [Mailman-owner] delete an old job posting

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jun 3 12:26:38 PDT 2009

Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 12:26:16 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: Rick Galasieski <rick at epicresults.com>
Subject: Re: [Mailman-owner] delete an old job posting

Quoting Rick Galasieski (rick at epicresults.com):

> What do I need to do to delete an old job posting that pops up in the search
> engines? The link to the job description that needs to be deleted is
> http://lists.svlug.org/pipermail/jobs/2005-April/000113.html

No, we don't do that.  We don't expunge our mailing lists' history
retroactively.

I'm not even sure why you think the persistence of history is a problem,
but you might content yourself with the knowledge that people searching
on your name, or your firm, etc., will find out that you've been around
for a while.  By contrast, if you're actually still getting applications
for a 2005 jobs posting, you have my condolences, but I guess you'll
just might have to ignore those as clueless.

In the future, if you wish to use, instead, a "job board" that expires
out old postings, there are plenty of them you can use.  However, SVLUG
isn't operating one of those; it's operating a jobs mailing list, and
keeps all posting history, all the way back to the list's founding in 2003.

----- End forwarded message -----