[volunteers] lost faith in SVLUG

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Sun Dec 23 11:55:16 PST 2007

On Sunday 23 December 2007 10:23:28 Warren Turkal wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Due to the inability of SVLUG to maintain a culturally positive
> environment on its mailing lists and at the live meetings, I have
> decided to end my organizational participation with SVLUG. This
> announcement means the following:
>
> 1) I will not be participating in the committee that is producing a
> recommended set of  bylaws to be approved by the membership.
> 2) I am taking myself out of the running for VP.
> 3) I will no longer be sponsoring the events happening at my place of work.
>
> Due to #3, SVLUG will need to find another sponsor for their events at
> Google if they wish to continue meeting there. Leslie Hawthorne is the
> person to contact for help here. Please contact me privately if you'd
> like her contact info.
>
> This decision has really stressed me out over the last few weeks.
> SVLUG has recently been crippled by an inability to make decisions. To
> me, the group seems like it has no direction and is full of conflict.
> I have generally been involved in LUGs to educate others about the
> FOSS community and to create a positive social outlet for the members.
> IMO, the culture of SVLUG right now is anything but positive.
>
> I have no intention to stop participating in the FOSS community, and I
> will be thinking about how I want to continue to do so over the next
> few weeks.
>
> BTW, the Jan. 15 kernel walkthrough will go on as promised at Google.
> After that, I will not be sponsoring any more SVLUG events until I see
> significant positive change.
>
> Thanks,
> wt
>mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.usmark at weisler-saratoga-ca.usmark at
weisler-saratoga-ca.us

Warren,
I thank you for being the Google employee coordinator for our installfests and
for your help in securing a place for the kernel study group and your
speaking to that study group.

I will check in with Leslie Hawthorn to revisit the relationship between
Google and SVLUG in light of your transition.

I also hope you will rejoin SVLUG activities soon.
--
Mark Weisler
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our