[volunteers] The 2230 formerly (and presently) known as brie

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Dec 18 16:05:20 PST 2007

Quoting Edward Cherlin (echerlin at gmail.com):

> You're on. Rick, you have been very uncivil in this and other
> conversations.

You are perfectly welcome to cite.  I note that you did _not_ do so.
I find this... odd.

> I personally am not in favor of "basic human decency".

I am in favour of that and more.  I am, in particular, in favour of
civility, which is what permits people to get along even when they have
very fundamental conflicts.  I've even several times since the age of
ten been civil to Boeing Company representatives, so I assure you that
being civil to someone like Paul Reiber who's been guilty of little more
than misconduct in a volunteer office and misbehaving himself very badly
at a CABAL meeting, is no problem at all.

> You are assuming what is not in evidence. Stick to observable facts,
> and drop the ad hominem attacks, which are uncivil, ignoble, and
> useless.

I most certainly will not merely "stick to observable facts" for reasons
amply explained separately.  Neither will you -- and I hope you'll have
noticed that you did not follow your own advice, and will feel a bit
sheepish about that ironic turn of events.  To the contrary, I will
express my views in a civil fashion.