[volunteers] gruyere (Linode host) upgraded

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Dec 18 12:01:39 PST 2007

Quoting Warren Turkal (wturkal at gmail.com):

> The closest FHS gives is a recommendation is to locate the document
> root somewhere under /srv[1].

Yes, but by that point, Dan was getting pretty silly with some of the
newer inventions, and nobody I respect has yet followed his lead with that.

FWIW, our httpd document root on gruyere is under /var/www, which is
hardly ideal but at least is a place webmasters will expect it.  Web
Team people will probably just symlink to it from their homedirs.

> One positive of moving to SVN is that the other SCMSs generally have a
> decent tool to import revision history from SVN. Imports from CVS or
> RCS are usually less reliable in my experience.

Fortunately, we do not yet have significant revision history, so we have
opportunity to pick a best-suited tool, as opposed to merely one we can
depart from without lossage.

(Anyway, it's 2007.  Who in his right mind would do a new deployment of
CVS, or start using RCS for anything that matters?)