[volunteers] The 2230 formerly (and presently) known as brie

Warren Turkal wturkal at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 11:05:43 PST 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 9:41 AM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Warren Turkal (wturkal at gmail.com):
>
> > This is my thought also. However there is a problem. How can SVLUG own
> > anything?
>
> Oh, goodie.  We get to go through _that_ discussion again.

Sarcasm doesn't help.

> Computerists frequently claim that unincorporated associations cannot
> own anything.  This claim is frequently advanced by the same people
> advocating incorporation and IRS non-profit recognition, being part of
> the same bundle of rhetoric.

You seem to be assuming that I had to ulterior motive with the
question. I was simply asking how he saw the property ownership
working. Can you please stop assuming the worst in my questions and
assume that maybe, just maybe I am trying to be helpful?

> In fact, unincorporated associations _do_ own property:  Courts
> construes their property as owned by sets of individuals concerned,
> usually as a joint tenancy.

Then it's pretty obvious that unincorporated association doesn't own
anything. The individual people in the association own the property.
Now my question is this...how do we decide which piece each member
owns? If I own a piece, I have the option to take my piece and go
home. That seems to leave the association in a somewhat crappy
situation.

For what it's worth, allowing the organization to own things is much
clearer, especially when our membership is so nebulously defined.

> Can we please for once learn from SVLUG history, and not keep falling
> into the same errors over and over?

Maybe the status quo should be questioned every now and then.

wt