[volunteers] The 2230 formerly (and presently) known as brie

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Dec 18 09:41:30 PST 2007

Quoting Warren Turkal (wturkal at gmail.com):

> This is my thought also. However there is a problem. How can SVLUG own
> anything?

Oh, goodie.  We get to go through _that_ discussion again.

Computerists frequently claim that unincorporated associations cannot
own anything.  This claim is frequently advanced by the same people
advocating incorporation and IRS non-profit recognition, being part of
the same bundle of rhetoric.

In fact, unincorporated associations _do_ own property:  Courts
construes their property as owned by sets of individuals concerned,
usually as a joint tenancy.

Can we please for once learn from SVLUG history, and not keep falling
into the same errors over and over?